Campuses/Schools


The Tecnológico de Monterrey’s origin goes back to 1943. It was the vision of Eugenio Garza Sada who, leading a group of Mexican businessmen, realizes the desire to create a cutting-edge educational institution that would mature and eventually become one of the best.

Sixty-four years after its foundation, these are some of the most relevant events that have come to distinguish the history of our institution.


Initial Stage
1944 The number of students increases from 350 to 452, while the total number of full-time faculty members, goes from 14 to 33.  That same year, extracurricular activities initiate; the first student association is established, and the first basketball and soccer teams come together; the institution’s first publication, "Onda", is released.
1945 Students adopt the Borrego (the ram) as their mascot.
1947 Campus Monterrey, with 1000 students, is inaugurated.  The first professional degrees are conferred to 8 graduates from Chemical Engineering.  The first TEC Raffle takes place.
1950 The Tecnológico de Monterrey is granted accreditation from the Southern Association of College and Schools (SACS)
1954 The library building with the Tecnológico de Monterrey’s emblematic mural is inaugurated.  The mural portrays the triumph of culture and work conveyed through pre-conquest mythological motifs.  The library building would eventually house the university’s Presidency.
Growth
1960 The Tecnológico de Monterrey assembles 4,458 students from 19 countries in the American continent and from all states in México.
1963 The first master’s degree is conferred in the area of Chemistry.  Twenty years after its foundation, the Tecnológico de Monterrey ventures into two areas that remain central to its educational goal: use of computers and education through television.
1967 Campus Guaymas, the first campus outside the city of Monterrey, is opened.
1968 The first Ph.D program in the area of Chemistry with specialization in Organic Chemistry is offered.
1973 Two new campuses in the country are opened: Campus Ciudad de México and Campus Ciudad Obregón.
1974 Campus Saltillo is inaugurated.
1975 Campus Eugenio Garza Sada, in the city of Monterrey, begins to operate; campuses Laguna, Querétaro and San Luis Potosí welcome students in different parts of the country.
1976 Campus Chihuahua, Estado de México and Irapuato are inaugurated.
1978 The Tecnológico de Monterrey assembles 25,000 students in 14 educational facilities around the country.  The Ignacio A. Santos School of Medicine, next door to the Hospital San José, is inaugurated.  Campus León starts operating.
1980 The personal computer is introduced as a tool for higher education in México. Campuses Colima, Chiapas, Guadalajara, Hidalgo and Morelos (currently named Cuernavaca) are opened.
1981 Campus Central de Veracruz and Tampico are inaugurated.
1982 Campus Toluca opens its doors.
1983 Campus Ciudad Juárez, Mazatlán, Sinaloa and Sonora Norte begin to operate.
1985 Campus Zacatecas is inaugurated.
Consolidation
1986 "To educate professionals that perform at standards of excellence in their areas of specialty" is defined as the institution’s mission; the general statutes and the formal configuration of the Tecnológico de Monterrey as a multi-campus educational system with a defined organizational structure are declared.
1986 The Tecnológico de Monterrey is integrated into BITNET, an international university communications network.  The satellite telecommunication network is inaugurated.
1989 The Center of Advanced Technology for Production (CETEC) at the Campus Monterrey is inaugurated.  Satellite transmission is used to deliver courses pertaining to the master’s program in Education with several specialties.
1990 The Center for Strategic Studies (CEE) is created.  Courses pertaining to the Business Management master’s program, computer courses for faculty members and three university-required courses  -related to social-cultural and professional performance values- are delivered through satellite transmission for the first time.
Transformation
1996 The Tecnológico de Monterrey declares its mission towards 2005: to educate individuals with community engagement, who are internationally competitive in their area of expertise, and to foster research and extension programs relevant to the country’s development.
1997 The Virtual University is created.  The Tecnológico de Monterrey’s academic and continuous education programs broaden their range beyond México and reach Latin America.The reengineering of the teaching-learning process is initiated.
1998 Campus Aguascalientes is inaugurated.  That social service performed by the student body of undergraduate programs be relevant to the immediate community is declared a norm.
2001 The Tecnológico de Monterrey, in association with diverse national and international organizations and foundations, establish Learning Community Centers.  Two new campuses begin to operate: Campus Cumbres, in Monterrey; and Campus Sante Fe, in the city of México.
2002 Campus Morelia is inaugurated.
2003 Campus Puebla is inaugurated.  The Graduate School of Public Administration and Policy (EGAP) is created, with operating sites in the Ciudad de México, Estado de México and Monterrey campuses. The Tecnológico de Monterrey is distinguished with the Andrew Heiskell Award 2003-2004, presented by the Institute of International Education, in the category of Outstanding Faculty Program.
2004 The Council for Accreditation of Higher Education (COPAES) pertaining to the Mexican Ministry of Public Education recognizes the Tecnológico de Monterrey for being the institution of higher education with the greatest number of academic programs with accreditation or recognition from national and international organizations.  At this point, the institution’sbusiness incubator network counts with 27 incubators. Prepanet, the high school unit devised to offer a combination of on-line and face-to-face activities to low-income students who need but had not had access to this level of education, begins to operate.   Two new high school units –one in Matamoros, Tamalulipas and another in Metepec, Estado de México- are inaugurated. The Philanthropy Network of Alumni and Friends starts operating.
2005 The Tecnológico de Monterrey vision towards 2015 is defined together with its corresponding mission statement and strategic priorities.  The Tecnológico de Monterrey is granted an award from the Ministry of Economy for its outstanding role in the consolidation of the National System of Business Incubators.  The Institute of Family Business is created through an agreement between Spain’s IE Business School and the Tecnológico de Monterrey.  The Valle Alto high school, in Monterrey, begins to operate.

Última actualización: 27/02/2014